Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Random thoughts...

Today I have a lot of random thoughts and things to share, most of which are unrelated to each other. Hopefully this will be an interesting, somewhat entertaining post instead of confusing.


1) The other day I ran a few errands after work and stopped to get food on my way home. I went out to the (dark) parking lot and pressed the button to unlock my car, heard the beeping noise it always makes, opened the door and got into my car. Except it wasn't my car. It was an entirely different silver Camry parked right next to mine, except this one looked like it had been detailed recently and they had a moon roof (jealous!). I started freaking out--what if these people think I'm trying to steal their car? I got out of the car and ran over to mine and got into it, hopefully before anyone saw me. Too weird. I guess this means I also need to look for the flash of my lights whenever I unlock my car to make sure I'm getting into my car.


2) I cannot think of anything more annoying than the sound of ACDC -- except maybe Manheim Steamroller Christmas Carols. They grate my nerves. It's probably my least favorite part of the holidays--I'm not kidding.


3) I'm ridiculously paranoid that people just think I'm fat, and don't realize I'm pregnant.


4) I'm helping with interviewing people at my office this week, and I really think I want to work in Human Resources. I like the idea of helping people understand their benefits and helping with the hiring process, etc. I think that might be a good field for me to look into in the future.


5) Speaking of work, I'm so excited by the fact that I will be off for 11 days in a row at Christmas. I cannot wait! I look forward to doing really super-Christmasy things and baking, watching movies, sitting by the fire, etc. It will be a restful, fun time of year and probably the last time for awhile in my life that I will have a real chance to sleep in, as long as I'm not too uncomfortable while I'm sleeping. I plan to take full advantage of that as long as my body cooperates.


6) Switching topics - Corey exchanged the paint again for what we think is the right color this time and painted most of one whole wall.


7) People keep asking me what I want for my birthday, which is coming up. I have a hard time coming up with things. Because I want is for people to do stuff for me or help me with stuff. Is that terrible? Like coming over to my house and telling me what you think of the paint color in the nursery. Or help with getting rid of our old couch, which is now on the side of our house in our backyard, and is worrying me. I want it out. I don't want some family of vermin to move in on it and build a little home in what used to be our man room couch. All I want for my birthday is a house not in disarray. And preferably decorated for Christmas. I need people's time and elbow grease but it is hard to ask for at such a busy time. Unfortunately, we have also been so busy lately that we are having a hard time getting everything done and a lot of the heavy lifting falls on Corey. There is only so much I can expect him to handle. I feel like a bad wife.


8) I haven't really talked about it on the blog, in part because I was a little bit nervous about it, but my OB asked me to go see a perinatologist to check on the baby's heart and make sure everything look okay. The baby has some risk factors for heart issues, and she just wanted to ensure that everything was fine. They can do a fetal echocardiogram and she said that if they found anything, most times nowadays they could do something to fix it in-utero. Which is amazing to me.


9) Anyway, I went to my appointment today by myself, not realizing that by fetal echo, they would also be doing a regular ultrasound as part of it. Everything looked great with baby's heart--Yay!--and they said that she did in fact look like a she (which is good, because if not, I have a lot of dresses and pink things to return) and I got a great chance to see our baby girl again. First I saw the ultrasound tech, who was really nice and reassuring and printed out a picture of our baby's profile because she said that she was "really cute". She kept saying how everything about the heart looked normal, which was such a relief. Then the doctor came in, who was this sweet, quiet older man, and he agreed that everything looked normal, no need for me to return, the heart looks "excellent" and he said I had "a nice looking baby". I feel very grateful that she is very healthy! I wish Corey could have been with me to see her, I think he would have enjoyed the appointment as much as I did :(


10) So a few funny things related to my appointment this morning. Baby girl had all of her limbs up by her head. At one point, the ultrasound tech was laughing because she was able to get an image with both feet and hands in the picture. She likes to put her hands up next to her face and kick her legs up. There was one time that they were looking at her profile and you could just see this perfect image of her leg extended in a high kick, toe pointing above her head. Could she be a possible future Rockette? Or a soccer player? Or a gymnast? Do we have karate in our future? I'm in full support of anything she wants to do, but she seems to like kicking.


11) They said she is 1 lb 6 ounces, the placenta is posterior and they baby is breech. It is fairly common for baby to be breech at this point, I'm not concerned about it--they usually move around and get in position over the next 15 weeks or so.


12) Other interesting observations: in the waiting room, I saw a 14 year old girl who was 7 months pregnant. She was there with her entire extended family and her little punk/gangster boyfriend. I also saw his underwear because his butt was hanging out of his jeans. Lovely. Anyway, they all seemed thrilled that she was having a baby and I heard her mom going on and on about being a grandma. Of course I think it's good that they aren't abandoning her because she's pregnant, but I was somewhat surprised by the whole scene. I can't help but feel bad for the baby. I need to work on being more empathetic towards the pregnant girl.


13) Also, after filling out my paperwork in the waiting room, I got up to hand in my clipboard and some weird pregnant lady saw me get up and stole the chair that I'd been sitting in. I gave her my evil pregnant lady look when I went to return my seat and found that it had been taken. Why take a chair that you already saw me sitting in?


14) I also parked in the doctor parking area. Oops. Luckily, I wasn't towed. But I guess how do they know I'm not a doctor?


15) This will be my last embarassing story for the day, I promise. During the ultrasound, I had to pull down my panel of my maternity pants and when I got up to leave I half-hazardly pulled my shirt down and forgot to pull up my panel. When I got to work today I walked in, sat down at my desk, and about an hour later I realized that my panel was still down and my shirt was halfway tucked into it. Oh, well. Hopefully not too many people saw me.


If you made it to the end of all of those random thoughts, you are awesome. And you are probably wondering if I need my head examined.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment